Get me to Europe! How you can start travelling from the UK

girl travelling with map

As the UK and Europe continue to lift restrictions, and their borders, people are enjoying a European summer. They’re travelling, soaking up the sun, having cocktails by the beach… things we’ve only dreamed of for the past 18 months. 

Luckily it’s not all doom and gloom and no, you won’t have to delete your Instagram to stop seeing holiday snaps. You could be in Europe too – yes, you!


Come posso arrivare in Europe? You ask yourself in Italian, how can I get to Europe? How can I eat gelato by day in Venice, smash plates in Crete or taste the local sangria in Marbella? 

The first thing you need to get is to get yourself to the UK which is easy. Working Holiday Visas (Youth Mobility Scheme) are being granted with the same processing times as before the pandemic. Once you’re there (living your best lockdown free life) here’s some of the places you could be visiting…

European countries on the green list from the UK

As of Sunday 8th August 2021. This means you can travel to these destinations without being vaccinated and not need to self-isolate upon arrival or return. You do however need to take a PCR test on day 2 of returning to the UK. 

  • Austria
  • Gibraltar
  • Iceland
  • Latvia
  • Madeira
  • Malta
  • Norway
  • Romania
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia

European countries on the amber lift from the UK

Arriving from an amber list country will mean you need to self-isolate at home for 10 days unless you have been fully vaccinated. Currently only those fully vaccinated in the UK* are eligible to skip the isolation, but as of Aug 2 the UK will accept European and US vaccinations. 

  • Albania
  • Andorra
  • Belgium
  • Cyprus
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Finland
  • France (PCR test required)
  • Greece
  • Hungary
  • Italy
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Monaco
  • Montenegro
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • Romania
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Ukraine

*When travelling on the Youth Mobility Scheme visa you are eligible for healthcare in the UK. This means if you want to get vaccinated while over in the UK, you can. 

Information is subject to change so we recommend staying up-to-date via the UK Government list.

OK I’m sold – what’s next?

If you’re ready to live it up in Europe then the first thing you need to do is get set up in the UK. Apply for your working holiday visa (Youth Mobility Scheme), then apply for your travel exemption (if needed from Aus) and get ready to say hello to fun holidays. 

If you’d like your job and accommodation sorted before you leave, then apply with us at the UK Pub Co. We have live-in hospitality and pub jobs across the UK. You’ll be living and working in the UK, planning those Euro travel adventures and soaking up the sun before you know it. 

Contact Us Today

View Pub Jobs

Apply Now

Related News & Stories

guide to british slang
United Kingdom

Blimey! A Guide to British Slang

Lush, quid or poorly; when moving to the UK for a Working Holiday there’s some British Slang you should know. You might think you speak English, but once you read this blog you might not be so sure.

Read More »
All the latest updates,
direct to your inbox