Important Visa Update for a Working Holiday in the UK

uk youth mobility visa changes

Do you love the idea of heading to the UK on a working holiday? If so, the UK Youth Mobility Visa changes have been implemented – and it’s actually good news. 

Now, applicants from Australia, New Zealand and Canada will be eligible for the Youth Mobility Visa up to the age of 35. Not only this, after two years in the UK, you can apply for an extension and enjoy a third year. This is very good news for many of our UK Pub Co. fam who love the UK so much and want to stay longer!

What Are The Changes?

Previously, for Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians, you needed to be aged  between 18 to 30 to be eligible to obtain the Tier 5 – Youth Mobility Visa (YMS) for the UK. However, from January 31 2024, those up to the age of 35 from these countries can apply for the visa. 

It will allow more people than ever to sample life in the UK while working on a temporary basis.

While the age range has changed, so has the length of time you’ll be eligible to stay in the country. Under the previous agreement, working holiday visa holders from these countries could only get a working visa through the program for up to two years. 

This has now been raised to three years (since Jan 2024), giving more time to experience working abroad and expand their future opportunities. For many people, these are very welcome changes.

Once it expires, then you can explore the opportunity for a full visa or head back home. It’s important to note that you can usually only apply once to these schemes. 

More information about the visa changes can be found on the UK Government website.

changes to uk youth mobility visa

How To Apply For The Scheme

Thankfully, applying for the scheme is easy and it can all be done online via the UK government’s website. While relatively straightforward, there are some stipulations such as valid identification and proof of savings

While there are a few steps to take, there should be no issues in getting a visa through their Youth Mobility Scheme. The cost of the application is £298. 

Additionally, the International Health Surcharge (IHS) fee is £1552. This covers anyone on this visa for medical treatment on the NHS scheme for the two years. 

You will also need to provide proof of funds. This means having the equivalent of £2,530 in a bank account for 30 days prior to applying. It’s important to note that you only need to have these funds showing for the application process. You can definitely spend that money once the visa has been granted.

Applying for a third-year

Not only do these visa changes allow more people to apply with the age increase, but they also allow you to apply for a third year. To do this, you must be in the UK already, finishing up your initial Youth Mobility Visa. You can then apply to extend your visa. There are additional costs to extend the visa but this can be arranged while you are in the UK.   

youth mobility scheme visa uk


What Are My Options After the Youth Mobility Scheme Expires?

If you move to the UK on a Youth Mobility Scheme visa, and end up looking to stay there permanently, what are your options? There are many different types of working visas, along with tourist and business visas available.

Some working visas include the Skilled Worker Visa, a Scale-Up Visa, and a High Potential Individual Visa. Essentially, you have to prove that there is an important job vacancy you can fill, or that you have a degree that shows your value to the country.

If you’re not eligible for one of these visas, you can apply for another type of visa such as an Ancestry Visa if you have family ties to the UK. There is even a Start-Up Visa for those looking to start a business in the country.

All of these visas have various rules and time limits that you’ll need to consider. If you decide that you want to live in the UK permanently, then you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Depending on your initial visa, you’ll need to have lived and worked in the UK for two to five years to apply for this. With so many visas available, it can be confusing to know which one to apply for. Using an immigration specialist is always a great idea to get the best possible advice. 

We highly recommend the services of Restless World. If you do use their services, make sure you mention that you’re part of the UK Pub Co. family and use the discount code UKPUBCO to save 10%. Every little bit helps!

Stay up to date

It’s important to note that these rules and regulations are often subject to change. For anyone hoping to work in the UK, it’s important to stay up to date with the latest changes whether you’re looking for a short-term holiday or something longer-term.

Before you decide on your next plans, it’s always wise to check government websites or consult with an immigration expert to ensure you’re fully informed. However, recent changes will give many more Australians, New Zealanders and Canadians an exciting opportunity to work abroad. 

We can’t wait to help you with your working holiday experience. Get in touch today and learn more about our live-in pub jobs

If you’re ready to head to the UK, apply today and our team will start linking you with our network of partners. 

Related News & Stories

guide to british slang
United Kingdom

Blimey! A Guide to British Slang

Lush, quid or poorly; when moving to the UK for a Working Holiday there’s some British Slang you should know. You might think you speak English, but once you read this blog you might not be so sure.

Read More »
All the latest updates,
direct to your inbox